
For YW last night we had a patriotic evening! I have really wanted to expose the girls to flag etiquette. Sounds kinda weird I guess, but it is something I've been interested in and when I have watched the girls at camp they don't seem to know what to do with the flag at flag ceremony or when or if they are suppose to put their hands on their hearts or WHAT! I don't think our kids realize what the flag stands for and how important it really is. I'm not sure if we just have to become *old* to appreciate it or what!
So we had our patriotic evening! First Bro. Durfee had the girls take one of two "tests" to see how much they knew about flag etiquette. Apparently, we don't know as much as we think we do! Then we had a special guest - Bro Whetton who gave a really neat presentation about the American flag and how it came to look how it does now! He had about 20 flags and spent a few minutes telling us when each one and why each one was used. It was really neat.
Then Bro. Christensen from the ward spoke. He served in WWII. He said something that I really liked - it will change the way I look at the flag from now on. He said, when he sees the flag he sees it as God's Flag. Because we live in the promised land and know that God has a special purpose for our country. I really liked what he said! I will see the flag that way from now on!
Bro. Durfee then taught the girls the proper way to fold a flag. Any of the girls who wanted to came up and practiced folding the flag! Then we went over to a fire that Bro. Durfee had built and talked about retiring a flag. Bro. Durfee read a little poem about the flag and then the girls helped cut up and we retired the flag. Bro. Durfee bore his testimony about the flag, our country and what special YW the girls were and how blessed they are to be living in this country at this time and as members of the church, that they needed to raise their children to love Heavenly Father and their country.
After that we passed out marshmallows and cookies and made s'more's! It was a special evening! I hope the girls learned something and will appreciate what the flag means - and what it truly represents! I know I did!






1 comment:
Thanks for stopping by - it was fun to show off Cosette. Glad that mutual went well and I enjoyed the part I was there for. Have a good weekend!
Post a Comment