Last summer we took an amazing trip to see my parent on their mission at Martin's Cove, WY. It was so fun to see them and see what they do. We got to see the visitor's center and hike to Martin's Cove. Vaughan and the girls hiked to Devil's Gate and we went to Independence Rock and checked out the names inscribed on the rock there. There was such a neat spirit there. I
didn't expect to feel what I did. It was so neat to be where so much history has taken place. To see the wagon ruts still on the trails that were left by so many traveling the Oregon Trial. It was neat to actually see what I've studied and learned in history classes and religion classes.
Martin's Cove is a sacred place and you can't help but feel that it is hallowed ground. The girls had fun pulling a handcart on our hike to Martin's Cove. We square danced that evening and heard pioneer stories about Ephriam Hanks. That night, most of my brothers and sisters arrived and we had dinner together. The next day, Saturday, Hope was baptised in the Sweet Water River. That was so special and something she nor I will ever forget! If you haven't been to Martin's Cove you have to go there sometime. We talk alot about going to Nauvoo, Kirtland and other church historical sites. I've always wanted to go to these places. They are so far away, and I haven't made it yet! But Martin's Cove is only 5 hours from SLC, Utah! I never realized what was there! Anyway, I'm so glad our family had the opportunityto go there and learn more about what took place there
and feel the spirit of that place!


We left Saturday afternoon for Snowbird, Utah.We spent a week there and thoroughly enjoyed

it. We went to SLC and Temple Square, The Beehive House, Hogle Zoo and BYU! Of course, we shopped and ate Dunford Donuts. We went to Stadium of Fire on the 4th of July and enjoyed the fireworks and the performances there! It was so fun! We ate ice cream at the Creamery and shopped at my favorite place: Gardener's Village and my new favorite Ti Pan! I'm still dreaming of going back! I was in heaven! We did LOTS of driving and sight seeing! It was lots of fun.

On our way home our van decided she'd had enough and blew a head gasket in Panguitch, Utah on a Saturday afternoon! After much deliberation we decided the best thing to do was rent a UHaul and trailer and pull the van home. The problem was there were six of us and a three passenger UHaul truck! We had reservations in Page for the night, so we loaded all six of us in the truck and headed to Page! My children were amazing troupers! Because of the limited space we couldn't bring anything in the cab but bare essentials!
So nothing to entertain! Vaughan drove the truck, Heather sat next to him, Heidi next to me while Holli sat in between Heidi's legs and Hope in between mine. It was quite the ride! We sang Durfee family songs most of the way, and then started singing primary songs at the end. It was actually one of the highlights of our trip. There was such a closeness (not just literally!) and a sweet feeling in the cab of that truck! Not one person complained or was unkind to each other. So we spent the night in Page and the next day we drove to Flagstaff and met my brother Marc and passed off three of our kids so we could get back to Mesa "legally"! It made an interesting end to our trip!






2 comments:
Hey more posts! They look great! You beat me to putting WY trip on your blog. I still need to do that.
Diane! Now I miss you guys even more after seeing your blog! I love the posts about all of your girls. They are all so sweet. Tell Heather & Heidi that I miss them so much. I love it here in ID so far, but it does make me a little sad when I think of my Adobe Ward pals, hope we get in a ward that awesome again someday...soon!
Post a Comment