Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Kudos to my Family


I have the most amazing family. I'm talking about my brothers and sister - and of course Mom and Dad. We don't always see eye to eye. We don't always get along. I'm often the odd man out. Most people can't believe I am even related to my siblings! I can't tell you how many times I've heard "Oh my gosh, you're (fill in the blank with Mike, Cindi, Brian, Marc or Randy)'s sister? You are NOTHING like them!" Yeah - I know.

I don't like sports - I tolerate it. Although, I was almost always there with one or more of my kids in tow, at Marc and Randy's football and wrestling events.

I have all girls - Most of my siblings have boys - which means boy stuff. I really don't get most of it. I mean - seriously, why would anyone willingly put their kids in all those sporting events on purpose????

You will find me at dance recitals or musical concerts (happily) and they do not occur or take half the time as sporting events!

I really don't care for the outdoors - at least not if it means I'm going to sweat! If you can drive there and take a chair out of the back of the car I'm all for it. It isn't because I'm lazy. I'm not. I just have never enjoyed hiking, biking, or anything that is dirty, hot or sweaty.

All my siblings LOVE animals. I do not. I like them. I am kind to them. But please don't ask me to pet them or care for them. We have a rabbit. We had fish. I have to say they have been my favorite pets. They are quiet. They are clean. And they have never required me to take care of them! (Yes, we had a dog... for 16 years. RIP)

But despite ALL these differences there is one thing we have in common. LOVE. When push comes to shove we put all these things aside and are there for each other.

My family has a unique grapevine that travels through the family. I have become aware that some of them are concerned about our family. Today I had a brother call to offer a side job to me - Laundry. He owns a Restoration company and needed some laundry done for a customer. It is hard work and I am tired. But it has reminded me of the love and concern that my family shows me. I have felt sad and worried this week. And today is the first day I have hope again. Maybe we will be able to meet some obligations that need to be met before Friday. I am grateful to be reminded that I am not alone. That FAMILY is so important. My brothers and parents have been there so much these past few months. Giving advise and providing us with work. I have sent many prayers of thanks heavenward!

And I can't forget the most AMAZING sister in laws! I love each one! I am so blessed. I truly think having them has kept me sane! Thanks for all the phone calls and words of advise! I love you so much. Both for marring my brothers :) and for putting up with me! I know if I need anything - all I have to do is call!

They may never see this - but I want them to know how much I am grateful for such an amazing family. That despite it all and when it is most important we do come together. There is so much comfort in this! Thank you really isn't enough!

3 comments:

Taylor said...

NOTHING compares to family - glad that ours get to be together forever! Hope it all works out for you - Have a good week!

ihavemoore@gmail.com said...

AWHHHH Geeze Sissy, Your just the best Sissy ever! People don't let My Sissy fool you She is quite the "All American Sissy" If you know what I mean! She will take your sick daughter with Bowl launching Dis-functions.(We must not use such language when we talk about our sweet little girlys) But it was the "Big D" if you need to know. And Keep her over night care for her PLUS while dealing with this her house is esquisit and you can eat off her floor with the finest of utensil England has to offer! With her in mind as you can see her V.T. finished and everything in tip top order. What more would a Sissy-in-law ask for! She is our #1 Sissy and always will be! I Love You Our true Queen of ENGLAND Miss Diane Durfee!

Shayla said...

WoW what a huge family! They sound wonderful! I sure hope my brothers marry some great girls for me :) I can't wait until my family is that big!
{Thank you for your sweet comments! It means a lot since I think you & Bro. Durfee are amazing!}