When my kids were younger I did pretty good, but it just seems like I get caught up in all the "have to's" that when the holiday is over I always feel like I missed something. Like I failed. I feel hollow somehow.
So I pack up all the goods and move on to another year and hope that next year will be different.
But NOT this year. This year is going to be different. I know it is. I feel it. I will tell you why.
Friday I was at Seagull Book. I buy a new Christmas book every year as one of our 12 day's of Christmas items. This is a tradition that I look forward to every year. As I was looking at the books I was struggling with what to buy. Everything I picked up was about someone who had either died or was dying and somehow related to a Christmas experience. It wasn't what I wanted. I wanted something that helped capture the true meaning of Christmas, was entertaining, would keep my kids attention and something we could read in one night.
Tall order.
I was feeling a little frustrated, so I offered a little prayer...
Right then I felt prompted to pick up this:
As soon as I started reading, tears came to my eyes and I knew I had found the answer to how to make Christmas special this year.This isn't the book I'm going to use for our 12 day's of Christmas tradition. But it is the book I'm going to use to bring Christ back into Christmas for the Durfee family.
This book touched my heart. When I read the introduction I thought, "How could she know about MY family? How could she know MY thoughts and feelings?"
Basically, this book is seven Family Home Evening lessons centered around the Christmas story.
Sort of. But you really have to check it out to appreciate it! It is beautiful and simply done.
When I read a part of the first lesson about Mary, I knew I needed this book. It reads: "Every mother wants every part of Christmas to be just right. We agonize over the perfect gifts; we contemplate how to create lasting memories; and we long for meaningful celebrations." It still brings tears to my eyes to read this.
This is how I feel. In every way. Someone understands!
So, I bought the book. I've read much of it. I've talked with Vaughan about it and we are going to start a new tradition this year!
I've been SO excited all day. I keep telling my kids this is going to be the BEST Christmas we have ever had. I really believe it too!
I'm so grateful for a loving and understanding Heavenly Father. I'm so excited for Christmas and for a beautiful month to get to know our Savior a little better.
Thank you Heavenly Father for knowing my heart and helping me get to where I want to be!
Merry CHRISTmas everyone!






1 comment:
k, I am so going to get that book. I felt like you wrote this for me! Thank you for sharing. I'll let you know when I get it :)
Post a Comment