Sunday, November 2, 2008

In Loving Memory



Yesterday Hillary, Heather and myself had the privilege of attending a funeral for the husband and son in law of some friends of ours. Officer Shane Figueroa was killed in a car accident while on duty as a police officer. It happened in Phoenix, Arizona.

I have never attended a funeral for a fallen police officer. It was very interesting with all the "pomp and circumstance" that takes place. It was very spiritual and made me think about what was really important in my life. I learned what an amazing young man he was. He was only 25 years old. Married for not quite 2 years. He left a beautiful wife and a three month old daughter. He served an honorable mission and led an honorable life. A good example to those he came in contact with!

This is when I am so grateful for the knowledge of eternal families and for the knowledge that we will see and be with our loved ones again. Shane and his family have this knowledge and belief. I'm sure it has helped them through this very tough time.

My thoughts and prayer have been with them this entire week and will continue. This experience has hit me close to home. I keep thinking about my oldest daughter (who is the same age as Shane's wife) and what she and her mother must be going through! I hope they are feeling our love and prayers that have been uttered in their behalf! I have always thought much of this family, and I still do! We love you guys and pray for you!

1 comment:

Mikelle said...

My little brother just told me about this. Shane was in my ward growing up. His family lived right behind ours. He was younger than me but I used to hop the fence sometimes and play w/ them in their backyard.
It is so sad when something like this happens out of the blue. I feel so bad for his poor wife. THANK HEAVENS for the plan of salvation, and the things we know as latter day saints. Our family has been praying for his as well. Thanks for posting the pic. I had forgotten how handsome he was. He looks almost exactly the same as he did 10+ years ago.