Thursday, August 18, 2011

My B(ee) Boy!

Have I mentioned that we have bee's? Yes, the real kind. The one's that make honey! It has been quite the adventure. We are learning so much. Vaughan has taken on the project of learning and caring for them full force!

How they came to be: I received an email about "someone" looking for yards that he could set up some beehives in. He would pay for everything and we would get 1/2 the honey. Sounded too good to pass up!

I emailed back and told him we were interested. He came and checked out our property and we were APPROVED! A few months later he came and set up the hives.

This is how they looked pre bee's! The week before we were to get the bee's (sometime in May) we noticed some bee's flying in and out of one of the hives. Weird... apparently a swarm decided to take up residence! So funny.

Unfortunately, when the bee's "arrived" some of the "bee kits" really struggled. And they lost many of them. It was so sad to see all the dead bee's. So they put a "healthy" kit in the one hive and a struggling one in the hive with the other bee's that had moved in. I'm happy to say both hives are doing Awesome!


Our hives are thriving and are twice as tall as they were in the beginning. Our beekeeper comes every month and checks on the bees and makes sure they are healthy and happy.


This is Vaughan and our beekeeper friend at one of our monthly hive check ups. Vaughan put this trellis in - complete with plants to create a barrier from balls and wandering kids! Thank goodness he did, 'cause one of our dust storms picked our trampoline up off the ground and smashed it into the trellis. It broke parts of the trellis, but no harm to our bee hives! I don't think our bee friends would have been very happy!

In July he pulled the feeder box off of one of the hives and found the bee's had started making honey in it. (They weren't supposed to) So he gave us the honey.


It was fun to get to taste the honey and sample the honey comb! Yummy stuff! I can hardly wait to harvest the honey. It's so mild and yummy.

If anyone wants to come check out our bee's and show your kids come on over. Vaughan loves to give field trips! It's pretty safe and he is careful with the kids!

3 comments:

Leanna said...

Hi - I am Stephanie's next door neighbor. I was just reading her blog and I found your link. We've been wondering how we got so lucky to have tons of bees polinating our veggie and herb gardens this year. Now I know where they came from! If your honey ends up with a little essence of tomatoes, cucumbers, and garlic chives, that we be my fault. :-)

Leanna said...

Uh, that WOULD be my fault. . .it's late, and I can barely spell when I am awake. LOL!

Durfee Family said...

Hi Leanna,
I JUST saw your post! How cool is that! We have a garden too! So I'm sure it's going to be some interesting honey! I'll have to share when we rob the hive! :)