Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Book Love

I LOVE this book. But I don't always "get" it! OK - I'll admit it. I hardly ever "get" it.

I was feeling especially frustrated with myself a few months ago - 'cause I WANT to read, but it's so hard to actually read when you know you aren't going to understand - and then there's the whole mind wandering thing. DUMB! It seriously discourages me and makes me feel SO stupid. So I avoid. Really.

Then my sister was talking to me about this book she was reading that was helping her with her scripture reading. It sounded really COOL! And she kept bringing it up. And bringing it up, 'cause you see, she was REALLY REALLY excited about it.

So, on one of our date nights I asked Vaughan if we could stop at Deseret Book and I showed him what I wanted to buy. It was kinda expensive. But so worth it. And I did. Buy it, that is!

And now I can say that this book

Is helping me love this book even more!

There are THREE books that cover the Book of Mormon. I bought number two, because I seriously think I have 1st and 2nd Nephi memorized I've read them so much. Book number 2 starts with Mosiah and goes through Alma. I already have book number 3 because my one and only bought it for me for my birthday! (I guess he thought I read faster!)

I am taking my time reading. Sometimes I read a whole chapter - which in this book is sometimes 5 or more pages. Sometimes I read less. Sometimes I read More! I try to read each night before I go to bed. Sometimes it's hard to put down. I LOVE the understanding and enlightening that is in these books. It has made the Book of Mormon come alive for me.

So, if you are struggling OR even if you aren't, check them out! It's like going to institute and this time I'm finally getting it!

3 comments:

Krista Darrach said...

That's awesome!
Good for you!
I'll have to look into it.
:) Thanks for sharing!!

Zoë said...

So is it a Book of Mormon with explanatory notes in it or is it a commentary that you read before reading the Book of Mormon? Either way, that's pretty cool!

Thanks for your comment on my blog! I love you! You're such a good person! :)

Durfee Family said...

Zoe - it's the bofm with explanatory notes. It's like you are reading the bofm and then he stops and explains what you are going to read next. It's been awesome "food for thought" and has really helped me! check it out next time you are in a book store! which I know will be soon! ;)