Wednesday, September 10, 2008

I met an ANGEL!

I've been holding these thoughts inside. Not sure if I could share them. They are kind of sacred and special to me. But then I decided that I should write them down and that it would be ok to share them. I hope you understand and feel the sweet spirit that I felt...

Sunday we took the youth in our ward to the Randolph Center in Coolidge. We met at the church at 7:00 am and got to the center around 8:15am. We gathered together and the person in charge gave us instructions and told us some stories and what we were going to be doing. Then they split us up in groups and sent us off to get our "friends". The people who live at the Randolph Center are physically and mentally challenged. Some have downs syndrome. I really don't know all the different challenges that they have, but they are special people. I don't know what I was expecting... certainly not the experience that I had. I have to admit I was nervous about being there. I wanted to have a good experience. I wanted the youth to have a good experience. I remember sending several prayers upwards asking to be able to "come out of my comfort zone" and be able to do what was asked of me. I really wanted to reach out and show love to these special people.

I ended up making friends with Mark. What a special person he is. Mark has the most beautiful chocolate brown eyes I've ever seen. He didn't speak. He sat in a wheelchair not really doing much. Vaughan and I pushed him in his wheelchair back to the gym where we all met. We talked to him as we walked. When we got to the gym I bent down in front of him to talk to him and took his hand. He latched on to my hands and wouldn't let go. I ended up spending my whole time sitting in front of him holding his hands. We sang mostly primary songs the whole time. I told Mark how special he was. How much fun we were having. I looked in his eyes and sang the songs with him. One of the "regular" helpers came by and told me a story about Mark and how special he was.

At one point while we were singing Mark started responding. It was slight, but somehow I knew he was responding. He would look at me and raise his eyebrows one at a time. One time he looked kind of sad. Later he would look at me again, this time he smiled. OK - it wasn't a big all over face smile, but it was a Mark smile! I just knew it! I told him how much I loved his smile! Again, one of the "regular" helpers came by and noticed him smiling! He mentioned he hadn't seen Mark smile in a long time!

The last song we sang was "I am a Child of God." That song took on a new meaning for me. I could feel myself losing it! I wanted to just hold Mark and sob. But I knew I had to keep it under control! It wasn't until later that afternoon that I let myself think about this experience, really think about it, and feel it! Then I could let the tears fall. The thought came to me later, that I really shouldn't be sad about Mark's earthly state. He is loved. Heavenly Father is mindful of him. Just like he is of each of us.

Sunday I met an angel. His name is Mark. I don't know much about him. But I know he is a child of God. That Heavenly Father loves him. That he touched my heart. I haven't been able to get him out of my mind. I hope he never leaves my heart. I am so grateful for the beautiful experience I had. I was hoping and praying that it would be a positive one. It was. The spirit was there in such a sweet peaceful way. It was so hard to leave. But it was time to go. I told Mark I loved him. Because I did. I didn't know you could love someone you hardly knew and would probably never see again. What a lesson Mark has taught me.

I have often thought about the Savior and wondered at the love he has for us. I have wondered how to feel "Christ like love". How does He do it? Sunday, I came a little closer to understanding. I still have a long way to go, but I think I've taken a step closer to knowing my Savior. Thank you Mark. I love you!

3 comments:

Darla said...

Thanks for sharing your story about Mark. I have been to Randolph twice and both times it was a very touching and moving experience. Thanks for the reminder of these sweet and special people.

Hillary said...

What a beautiful experience. It brought tears to my eyes. It is definatly something you will never forget. I have never been to Randolph, but it sounds like an amazing experience.

Krista Darrach said...

It was an awesome experience, I was glad to have the opportunity to go. Caroline and I had Bubba, he was a sweetie too, we enjoyed him a lot. Thanks for sharing your experience. I too was moved by what an awesome place it was, and not only because of the special spirits that are housed there, but also because of the hearts of those who willingly sacrifice so much to help them. I was compeletely impressed by our youth and by the leaders that go there everyweek. I was able to chat with one of the men whose calling it was to help run the facility. He was an amazing man. He hasnt' been apart of a ward family for almost a year, he dedicates each Sunday helping those sweet spirits. My heart was full. Which helped me to look inward and ask myself...how much am I sacrificing for others...the answer: Not near enough. :-)
Thanks again for your post.