Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Pressure Canning Drama


So I have been wanting to learn how to pressure can chicken for quite a while! Well, my sister finally was able to help me learn! Let's just say every mistake I could make I did! It was the most stressful day ever! It started out with me trying to use my Mom's canner. I got ALL the chicken put in jars. Loaded the canner. I used the burner on our gas grill outside because we weren't sure my glass top would be able to handle the heavy canner. Well, I couldn't find the *How To* book and we couldn't get the darn thing to work. Apparently, it is the "old" style and my sister's canner is the "new" style. So after an hour of trying that we decided I should follow her home and borrow hers. (why didn't we do that in the beginning???) So I get the hefty thing home. Go outside. Unload the *other* canner and load the *new* canner and start all over. I called my sister so she could make sure I'd done EVERYTHING I was suppose to. I crank up the heat and sit down to watch the spout for a steady stream of steam! Of course by now it is 8:30 at night. It's dark outside. But I was determined that I was going to CAN CHICKEN! After about 20-30 minutes and no steam, I'm commenting on how long it is taking and I realize "Oh my gosh! I forgot to add the water to the canner." How dumb can I be? Apparently, pretty dumb~! So, in a panic I turn off the heat and start asking my sister "What should I do?" Of course she doesn't know, 'cause she's not as dumb as I am and has never had this experience. No pressure had built up (of course!) so I undo the lid and again unload the canner, add the water, and reload the canner. Seal the canner, turn on the heat and again sit down to watch for the stream of steam! Of course, telling myself how dumb I am the whole time! Can you say "Rubber Chicken"? Well, miracles of miracles the steam finally makes a showing. This took a LONG time. Then I got to watch for the pressure to build up. Again, this took a LONG time. Then I got to watch that the pressure stayed at the right number for 90 LONG minutes! FINALLY, at 1:00 am I was taking the jars out of the canner and letting them cool until morning. I'm happy to say they all sealed. (How could they not?) My sister tells me that I will never make these same mistakes again and that I "sure learned a lot!" Hey, guess what! Chicken is on sale again this week! Anyone want to come pressure can with me? What? No? Ahhhhh, ya Chicken! LOL (I would of posted a picture of the jars of chicken for proof, but to be honest they look kind of gross to me. Like a science experiment in a jar! ewwww!)

1 comment:

Darla said...

I feel your pain. I have only ever done ground beef. It is a stressful experience to me. I worry the whole time that I am going to blow myself or my home or my family up! I need to try chicken. Ground beef looks pretty gross, too!!