Sunday, July 31, 2011

Summer Love ' n

This has been a STRANGE summer to say the least!

But despite all the health problems and the lack of vacations it has been productive:

I ended up bottling 12 pints of green beans and 36 quarts of tomatoes - All from our garden. I even made 1 batch of boysenberry freezer jam. It is beautiful and yummy! It makes me miss Knottsberry Farm! (The vacation we had planned to take!)


This amazes me, 'cause I know how lousy I've felt. I couldn't have done it without my sweet helper - Vaughan. He would come home from work and we would start the bottling process. I love canning and I wish I could have done more. But I'm happy with what was accomplished under the circumstances.

I hosted 2 bridal showers in June. Luckily, the majority of the preparations took place before I got too bad. I had so much fun and I loved doing them.

When I found out I was having surgery I panicked at the thought of anyone seeing my bedroom. I have had a corner of my room stacked with boxes that I needed to go through for MONTHS. I had *planned* to have them sorted through and put away by the end of June, but just didn't have the energy to do it. Nothing like PANIC to give your body the adrenaline it needs! It took a few days and some more help from my sweetheart but we got it done. It FEELS so good to not see all that clutter. My room is far from the sanctuary I want it to be, but it's coming. I have encouragement now!

I have read more books and watched more movies than I can count. It's been the most relaxing summer I can remember. I had to rely on my girls and Vaughan to do so much. I seriously have not cooked a meal since mid June. I've assisted and coached, but others have had to do the cooking- and they continue to!

When I look back now - post surgery - I realize just how awful I felt. And how much pain I was in. Pain really zaps your energy! While I am still having pain and problems with my foot, I have to let the nerve heal - I am feeling better everyday.

I would never want to repeat this summer, but I do have to say I have felt the LOVE. Love from my family - especially my girls and Vaughan, love from my friends and ward and love from the Lord. He has been there with me through all of this.

It's definitely been a summer full of love and I've learned so much. I look forward to having my health and being able to serve my family again. But I will miss spending quality and quantity time with my girls. Just laying around visiting - watching movies. No rushing or hurrying.

I have thought I would like to forget this summer - but I've changed my mind. I'm going to remember this summer as the summer I learned just how much I am loved.

1 comment:

laurie said...

Awww, that made me tear up. Families are the best!