Saturday, April 10, 2010

It's the Simple Things - Minestrone Soup

Aren't they beautiful! Well, maybe they aren't the biggest and best you've ever seen, but they are the first carrots to come out of our garden! YUMMY. They taste delish!

So I washed them up and had them drying on the counter, but before they could be put away in the refrigerator I decided to make them into our dinner! Minestrone Soup. Even in the summer this soup is yummy. It's a water based soup, so it's not heavy, and I don't add meat, so it is full of veggies and a little pasta! The best part of this soup is most of the ingredients are on my cupboard shelf!

In a large pot start with 1 - 28 oz can of tomato puree (I use 2 smaller cans of whole or diced tomatoes whirled in the blender real quick!)
1 quart of water
2 large carrots (sliced)
2 - 8 oz cans of tomato sauce
2 cups beef broth (I pour the tomato sauce in the pot, add bouillon cubes and then use the cans to add two cans of water, rinsing the rest of the tomato sauce into the pot of soup! No waste!)

Add the spices: 1 T. dried parsley
1/2 tsp. ground basil
1 tsp. oregano leaves
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. garlic salt

You could use fresh, ground or leaves if you don't have what the recipe calls for. I substitute all the time!
While that simmers over low heat for 20 minutes I like to open and drain the liquid off:
1 - 15 oz. can garbanzo beans
1 - 15 oz can green beans
1 - 15 oz can kidney beans
Add these drained to the pot and stir in.

Bring the soup to a boil and cook 15 - 20 minutes.

In a separate pot bring to boil some water and add 2 cups of pasta (whatever YOU like!) Cook pasta until almost done - NOT soggy. Drain and add to soup.It's ready to serve! We like to add parmesan cheese and serve with garlic toast! ENJOY!

1 comment:

lizlaughs said...

Oh- this soup looks so good! I am going to try it, I can't wait!